Sunday, January 30, 2011

re: Sundance 2011

Derek and I returned this week from our annual adventure volunteering at the Sundance Film Festival. The two of us got to spend some quality time with lots of our Utah friends (though not all of them - sorry to those we missed), watching movies and making prolonged eye contact with Paul Rudd.

(Actually, the eye contact thing was just me).



One of the more glamorous parts of my movie job involves cleaning the theatre between screenings. While scraping gum off the floor and cursing those people who snuck coffee into the house, I found this under one of the seats:



That's right - Michael "CEO of Miramax Films" Lang's business card with all of his direct contact information. Some poor movie-making hopeful finally got their big break, met the CEO of Miramax films, got his card and then dropped it on the ground while they were laughing too hard during My Idiot Brother. Now they'll never be able to send the manuscript about a "nerdy highschool boy who falls in love with the popular girl in school" and finally see their name up on the big screen.

In the meantime, I am considering selling this card to the highest bidder. Either that, or I'm going to start sending him crazy movie ideas every day until I'm the one up on stage at Sundance.

4 comments:

Bek said...

next year, i'm going with you.

Tiffany said...

i vote for you sending him the story of your life and having it made into a movie. also i miss you and im coveting your glasses.

Chris said...

3 things...
1) What an awesome time!
2) How does one volunteer for such a great gig??
3) I will pay you $1,000 for a copy of that card!

bex said...

Bek. You will fit in my suitcase.

Tif. I want you to make the movie of my life. And I want there to be tapdancing in it.

Chris! Sundance is a pretty good gig. You can always volunteer on the sundance website - they start recruiting toward the end of the year. Where you end up working is not always a good gig, though. I'd probably want to stay away from anything besides a Theater Ops position ... but that's just me.

And ... sold. You can write me a check. It is a good investment in your future ; )