Monday, November 11, 2013

re: Forced Simplicity

\\ Odds are, if you've seen me in the last 4 months I've been wearing one of these pairs of shoes. //

My co-worker told me the other day that she'd never seen me wear the same thing twice until I got pregnant. 

I suspect that was just a nice way of telling me that in case I thought nobody noticed that I basically have two outfits that I switch off wearing every other day, I'm sadly mistaken. 

Although I love clothes, I never wanted to spend a ton of money on maternity clothing - they make some really cute stuff these days, don't get me wrong, but somehow the idea of investing much in such a temporary wardrobe seemed like a waste of money and space, and I ended up doing a fairly good job at making due with some of the larger, tunic-y items and stretch pants that I already owned for a majority of my pregnancy. 

Of course, the few specifically maternity items I did buy out of necessity have turned out to be really comfortable, especially in these last few weeks, and despite my poo-pooing of them have been the things I find myself wearing daily. For someone who owns (cringe) upwards of 300 pairs of shoes and had an entire second bedroom dedicated to closet space for years, having to choose between only four pairs of shoes that actually fit has been surprisingly more liberating than restrictive. I won't be showing up on any "best dressed" lists, probably, but I've kind of enjoyed only having one pair of black shoes to choose from for any given occasion. 

(Of course, whether I'll feel that same way once I am trying to fit into all my old clothing again remains to be seen - though the simplicity of a pregnancy wardrobe has been unexpectedly nice, my tendencies towards an expansive wardrobe run deep. I'm hoping to meet my closet somewhere in the middle.)

2 comments:

Alice said...

I can't stand maternity clothes, I try to buy as few as possible, and then after pregnancy I just want to burn them. After 6 months I stick to slip ons because tying my own shoes just isn't possible. You've worn pregnancy well my friend:)

bex said...

Right? I'm so sick of my four outfits that I'm not even going to be sad when a baby drools all over them and ruins them in a few days : )